About Me

Safety, Products and Liability: A Legal Blog

Welcome to my blog. This blog is dedicated to helping anyone who is currently in the midst of a liability issue. A few years ago, my daughter contracted listeria due to poorly packaged food. She, thankfully, was okay, but we still took her case to court. I want all families who have been affected by liability issues to understand their rights, so I decided to start this blog. My beautiful daughter is now 17 and preparing to start uni next year. I have three younger children as well and an amazing husband. Thank you for reading my blog. Please share my posts if they help you!

Latest Posts



Safety, Products and Liability: A Legal Blog

Help! My boss is underpaying the employees!

by Liesanne Martin

Recent news articles have brought into the public eye the fact that some bosses do not do the right thing by their employees. If you are in a workforce that is not being fairly compensated, here are some things that you can do to resolve the issue. 

Gather evidence of the issue

In order to understand exactly how much people are being underpaid, gather all evidence of the issue, including payslips, time cards and requests or rosters that ask for extra unpaid hours. You can use this to work out exactly how much people are getting paid per hour and compare this to your employment agreement or award. (If you are not covered by an award, the Fair Work Act lays out minimum wage conditions for all workers in Australia). You should then send your boss your calculations and give them the chance to recompense people if this is a genuine oversight. If this is not an oversight, you can also use this as proof that your boss is aware of the issue if they do not correct it immediately which can bolster any legal case. 

Speak to your union (if you have one)

If you have a union, this is a useful time to contact them to get some support. They have experience in negotiating with management and are authorised to speak on behalf of a group of members. This can sometimes be more useful for groups of workers who are getting underpaid and do not feel confident negotiating such as students of foreign workers. 

Speak to a lawyer

If you don't have a union or are finding it hard to reach a resolution, it can be useful to get a lawyer engaged. They can help by initially writing a letter to your employer, which can often trigger mediation and negotiation. They can also represent you in a court of law if you need to sue your boss for back pay. In some cases, you may also be eligible for additional compensation such as payout for pain and suffering where you have suffered mental distress or ill health over the situation. 

If you or other employees in your business are being underpaid, you should speak up. Australia has strong employment laws which protect the rights of workers to earn a minimum wage and get minimum terms of employment. Having an experienced lawyer like RAMSDEN LAWYERS on your side can help you to negotiate for fair compensation if your boss has been underpaying you.